Independent advocacy, as provided by Pembrokeshire People First, is a way of supporting people with learning disabilities, or, who have an autistic spectrum condition, who need help to:
- Have their voice heard on issues that are important to them
- Defend and safeguard their rights and entitlements
- Have their views and wishes genuinely considered when decision are being taken about their lives
Independent advocacy is a way of supporting and enabling people to:
- Express their views and concerns
- Find and access information and services
- Defend, secure and promote their rights and entitlements
- Explore choices and options
An independent advocate from our Team is available to offer support at the time it is needed. They will help in lot of ways depending on the level of support needed. Sometimes this will involve providing the supportive reassurance to allow a person to represent their own voice, for those needing more support this will involve taking more of a lead in expressing the person’s voice.
For those with little or no communication, the advocate will try to ensure that any decisions being taken on their behalf reflect the known preferred general lifestyle of the person.
We work to the recognised Advocacy Code of Practice. We are entirely independent of Social Services and Health agencies and this allows us to support and represent a person without any outside influence.
We try to make it as easy as possible for people to access our service, just call 01437 769135 and ask to speak to one of the advocacy team.
If we cannot help we will try to find someone who can.